Shots fired, driver dead after police pursuit spanning multiple counties

Law enforcement are on the scene after a police pursuit that spanned four counties ended in Pulaski County, Ind., Tuesday, March 28, 2017. (WLFI Photo)

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Indiana State Police have confirmed a man is dead after shots were fired during an early morning police chase that spanned multiple counties Tuesday.

According to Sgt. Kim Riley with Indiana State Police, around 4:30 a.m. a man went to a Warren County residence and took a teenage girl. Information was then provided to law enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for a white Yukon.

Riley said officers attempted to pull over the suspected vehicle, which was heading east on State Road 26 in Tippecanoe County just west of West Lafayette. He said the police pursuit then began in Tippecanoe County because the driver would not stop.

The man led officers from several agencies through Tippecanoe, Carroll, White and Pulaski counties. State police said stop sticks were deployed several times in various locations, which caused multiple tires on the vehicle to deflate.

The chase finally ended just north of the White-Pulaski County Line on U.S. 421, between Monon and Francesville in Pulaski County.

State police report the man bailed out of the car holding a weapon and made threatening gestures toward the officers. The driver was shot and killed.

The Pulaski County Coroner confirmed the man was dead. Authorities said his identity will not be released until family is notified.

Riley would not say who fired the shots at this time.

“We’ll look at the investigation. At this point in time, we’ll see if there’s a justification for the shooting, make sure everybody went right,” Riley said. “That’s basically what we’re looking at.”

State police said the names of the officers involved in the shooting will be released by their respective departments at a time they feel is appropriate.

The teenage girl was found in the passenger seat. Police said she is OK.

No one else was injured in the incident, but a Monon Town Marshal’s vehicle was damaged.

The police pursuit lasted about an hour.

Indiana State Police are investigating.

The road should be reopen around noon.

News 18 will continue to follow this story and bring you the latest as information becomes available.